LUNAR OBSERVING SCHEDULE
In order to help coordinate targeted observing of the Moon for lunar groups of astronomical societies (e.g. ALPO, BAA, UAI), this web site contains a set of dates and UTs for observing lunar features on the Moon, under specific illumination (and sometimes viewing/libration) conditions.
The purpose of this is four fold:
1) To aid existing topological and geological lunar studies of specific lunar craters, mountains, rilles, domes etc.
2) To aid planetary scientists in providing wide angle context images of the Moon for them to compare against higher resolution spacecraft images
3) To solve past historical observational puzzles some of which have been referred to as Transient Lunar Phenomenon (TLP) those especially interested in TLP work should click here (http://users.aber.ac.uk/atc/tlp/tlp.htm) if they want additional lunar features to observe.
4) To search for impact flashes on the Moons earthlit portion.
Please just select your closest location below to which you are situated, click on it, and away you go!
· If you wish your specific geographical observing location to be added to the scheduler, please send me an email on my email address below.
· If you are an observing program coordinator of an astronomical society, and want a specific feature observed for you, again please send me the details, and in particular the selenographic colongitude range required.
· For last months observing schedule, click here .
· For next months observing schedule, click here .
· If you ever think that you have spotted a TLP, here is a checklist to go through before, before contacting me.
· Need a good lunar atlas to help you find your way around the Moon? Try one of these: The Hatfield Lunar Atlas, SCT Lunar Atlas, 21st Century Atlas of the Moon, Hamlyn Atlas of the Moon, The Cambridge Photographic Lunar Atlas, The Clementine Atlas of the Moon.
The information provided on this and other pages by me, Tony Cook (a t c @ a b e r . a c . u k), is under my own personal responsibility and not that of Aberystwyth University. Similarly, any opinions expressed are my own and are in no way to be taken as those of A.U.
Now to get started, Please Select a geographical location from below......
AFRICA & MIDDLE-EAST