Dr Maire N. Gorman
I am originally from Catterline, a beautiful fishing village on the north-east coast of Scotland. In primary 6 my family moved to
Kilmarnock. I attended St Edmund Hall, Oxford where I gained an MPhys specialising in Atmospheric physics and Astrophysics. Since 2012 I
have been a member of the ExoMol group based at University College London. I moved to Aberystwyth in January 2016 as a Teaching Fellow and am
now employed as an Associate Lecturer (Teaching & Scholarship). I am an Associate Fellow of the HEA, Fellow of RAS and Member of the
Available Student Projects
For undergraduate students at A.U who wish to think about 3rd year and 4th year projects please see the project list here on Dr Rudi Winter's website.
Note the list is subject to change!
I am happy to discuss possible student projects (term time and summer) subject to funding constraints.
Past Student Projects
I have supervised summer undergraduate projects (2016, 2017) through departmental bursaries, via the AberForward scheme and from funding from the Joy Welch Foundation . I also supervise undergraduate projects.
Previous projects (summer and term time) have included:
- Calculation of unrefined line lists for MnCl and MnF.
- Calculation of line lists for OH+ and OH-.
- MARVEL Analysis of SrH and FeH experimental data.
- MARVEL Analysis of BeH experimental data.
- Study of Barium Stars.
- MARVEL Analysis of BaO experimental data.
- Active Galactic Nuclei.
- Role of technology in Physics education.
- Study of misunderstandings of physics concepts.
- Physics Museum: Development of supporting information.
- Infinity Kit: Development of educational resources.
- Development of mini astrophysics projects for PH25520.
Sousa-Silva, Clara, McKemmish, Laura K., Chubb, Katy L., Gorman, Maire N., Baker, Jack S., Barton, Emma J., Rivlin, Tom, &
Tennyson, Jonathan 2018, Physics Education Original Research By Young
Twinkle Students (ORBYTS): when can students start performing original research?
Yurchenko, Sergei N., Sinden, Frances, Lodi, Lorenzo, Hill, Christian, Gorman, Maire N., & Tennyson, Jonathan 2018, Monthly
Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society ExoMol line lists XXIV: A new hot
line list for silicon monohydride, SiH
Prajapat, Laxmi, Jagoda, Pawel, Lodi, Lorenzo, Gorman, Maire N., Yurchenko, Sergei N., & Tennyson, Jonathan 2017, Monthly Notices
of the Royal Astronomical Society
ExoMol molecular line lists - XXIII: spectra of PO and PS
Prajapat, Laxmi, Jagoda, Pawel, Lodi, Lorenzo, Gorman, Maire N., Yurchenko, Sergei N., & Tennyson, Jonathan 2017, VizieR Online
Data Catalog ExoMol line lists. PO and PS spectra
McKemmish, Laura K., Chubb, Katy L., Rivlin, Tom, Baker, Jack S., Gorman, Maire N., Heward, Anita, Dunn, William, & Tessenyi,
Marcell 2017, Astronomy & Geophysics Bringing pupils into the ORBYTS of
Tennyson, Jonathan, Yurchenko, Sergei N., Al-Refaie, Ahmed F., Barton, Emma J., Chubb, Katy L., Coles, Phillip A., Diamantopoulou,
S., Gorman, Maire N., Hill, Christian, Lam, Aden Z., Lodi, Lorenzo, McKemmish, Laura K., Na, Yueqi, Owens, Alec, Polyansky, Oleg L.,
Rivlin, Tom, Sousa-Silva, Clara, Underwood, Daniel S., Yachmenev, Andrey & Zak, Emil 2017, Journal of Molecular Spectroscopy The ExoMol database: Molecular line lists for exoplanet and other hot
Gorman, Maire N., Lodi, Lorenzo, Leyland, Paul, Hill, Christian, Yurchenko, Sergy N., & Tennyson, Jonathan 2013, European
Planetary Science Congress 2013, held 8-13 September in London, UK Hot
temperatures line lists for metal hydrides
- Poster "New ExoMol line lists for PO, PS, SiH, NS and SH", European Week of Astronomy & Space Science 2018, 3 - 6 April 2018, Arena &
Convention Centre, Liverpool, UK.
- Poster "MARVEL Analysis of BaO: Generation of magnetic field
lande g-factors", European Week of Astronomy & Space Science 2018, 3 - 6 April
2018, Arena & Convention Centre, Liverpool, UK.
- Poster "Calculation of a line list for MnH for brown dwarf and
exoplanetary applications.", European Week of Astronomy & Space Science 2018, 3
- 6 April 2018, Arena & Convention Centre, Liverpool, UK.
- Talk "Generation of molecular line lists: involving A-level &
undergraduate students in research",
Astrochemistry for all, Annual Meeting of the Astrophysical Chemistry Group of the RSC/RAS, 15 - 16 January 2018, Department of
Chemistry, University of Sheffield, Sheffield, UK.
- Talk "Brilliant Club: Teaching Opportunities for PhD and Post
Docs", Aberystwyth University T & L conference 2017, 10 - 12 July
2017, University of Aberystwyth, Aberystwyth, UK.
- Poster "ORBYTS: Using Media to engage school students in
research", Aberystwyth University T & L conference 2017, 10 - 12
July 2017, University of Aberystwyth, Aberystwyth, UK.
- Attendance The Brilliant Club Conference 2014: Getting In and
Getting On': The Whole Student Lifecycle, 8 July 2017, King’s College London, London, UK.
- Talk "Original Research By Young Twinkle Students (ORBYTS)", National Astronomy Meeting
2017, 2 - 6 July 2017, University of Hull, Hull, UK.
- Poster, "Study of Manganese-bearing molecules", National Astronomy Meeting 2017, 2 - 6 July 2017, University of Hull,
- Talk "New Linelist for Chromium Hydride (CrH)", National Astronomy Meeting
2017, 2 - 6 July 2017, University of Hull, Hull, UK.
- Attendance Awarded IOP Bursary for attendance, Variety in Chemistry
Education/Physics Higher Education Conference 2016, 25 - 26 August 2016, University of Southampton, Southampton, UK.
- Attendance The Brilliant Club Conference 2015: Finding solutions
to break the link between where students live and access to highly-selective universities, 19 July 2016, Ormiston Sir Stanley
Matthews Academy, Stoke-on-Trent, UK.
- Poster "The Brilliant Club: raising the aspirations of school
pupils through bespoke research-based tutorials", Aberystwyth University T & L conference 2016, 6 - 8 July
2016, University of Aberystwyth, Aberystwyth, Wales, UK.
- Attendance National Astronomy
Meeting 2016, 27 June - 1 July, University of Nottingham, Nottingham, UK.
- Poster "Linelists for Chromium Hydride (CrH) and Manganese
Hydride (MnH)", Centre for Planetary Sciences,
6th Summer Meeting, Tuesday 21 June 2016, Front Quad marquee, University College London, London, UK.
- Attendance Out-of-Town RAS Meeting: The future of Astronomy
and Planetary Science in the Ultraviolet, 7 Jan 2016, Astronomy & Astrophysics Group, University of Warwick, Coventry, UK.
- Poster "New high temperature line list for Chromium Hydride", The 24th Colloquium on High Resolution Molecular
Spectroscopy, 24 - 28 August 2015, University of Burgundy, Dijon, France.
- Poster "New high temperature linelist for Chromium Hydride" Spectroscopy of Exoplanets, 24 - 26 July, Cumberland
Lodge, Great Windsor Park, Windsor, UK.
- Poster "Towards a new linelist for Manganese Hydride" Spectroscopy of Exoplanets, 24 - 26 July, Cumberland
Lodge, Great Windsor Park, Windsor, UK.
- Attendance The Brilliant Club Conference 2015: Where can we find
solutions to break the link between household income and admission to the UK’s highly selective universities?, 8 July, King's
College London, London, UK.
- Poster "ExoMol project: study of the electronic structure of CrH
& MnH and alkaline metal hydrides BeH, MgH & CaH", Frontiers of Stellar Spectroscopy in the
Local Group and Beyond , 27 - 30 April 2015, Haus der Astronomie, MPIA Campus, Heidelberg, Germany.
- Talk "Towards a comprehensive line list for Chromium Hydride", 23rd International Conference on High
Resolution Molecular Spectroscopy, 2 - 6 September 2014, Department of Chemistry, University of Bologna, Bologna, Italy.
- Attendance French-German Summer school SPECMO 2014, 7 - 13 September 2014, Village Club IGESA
"La Marana", Corsica.
- Poster "Hot temperatures line lists for metal hydrides", Exoplanet UK Community Meeting, 14 - 16 April 2014, Institute
of Astronomy (IoA), University of Cambridge, Cambridge, UK.
- Attendance UCL
Teaching & Learning Conference, 3 April 2014, University College London, London, UK.
- Poster "Hot temperatures line lists for metal hydrides", European Planetary Science Congress 2013, 8 - 13 September 2013, University
College London, London, UK.
- Poster "Exomol: molecular line lists for astrophysical
applications. An ab initio study of the eight lowest electronic states of Chromium Hydride", High Resolution Molecular Spectroscopy 2013, 25 - 30 August 2013, Margaret
Island, Budapest, Hungary.
- Attendance COST
Action TRAINING SCHOOL, Molecular Processes for Astrophysics: Theorerical Aspects, 18 - 22 March 2013, Institute for Planetary
Sciences and Astrophysics of Grenoble, Universite Joseph Fourier, Grenoble, France.
- Talk "Use of experimental data and the importance of relativistic
effects in the theoretical calculation of the molecular linelist for CrH", The Chemical Cosmos: Understanding Chemistry in Astronomical Environments,
Annual Conference, 2 - 5 April 2013, Windsor, UK.
- Talk "Calculating the molecular line-list for CrH: Solving for
the electronic motion", Annual Meeting of the Astrophysical Chemistry Group:
Gas, Dust and Astrochemistry, 3 - 4 January 2013, School of Mathematics and Physics, Queen's University Belfast, Belfast, UK.
Current Teaching Resonsibilities
Previous Teaching Experience
Postgraduate Demonstrator, UCL/ULO
University of London Observatory, 2nd year, Certificate in Astronomy course (1 semester, 33 hours).
University College London, 1st year undergraduate laboratories (5 semesters, 175 hours).
University of London Observatory, 3rd year practical astronomy (1 semester, 66 hours).
Postgraduate coursework marker, UCL
Year 1, Mathematical methods for physics (~600 scripts over 3 semesters)
Year 3, Modern Optics and Lasers (1 semester, ~150 worksheets in total)
I am a registered STEM Ambassador: I am more than happy to give talks about applying to Oxbridge (having come from a state school
background) and/or talks on my research. I have previously presented for the UCL APEX series, UCL Astronomy Diploma club, Aberystwyth Science Cafe, West Wales Association of Young
Scientists, SEREN Ceredigion branch meeting
and planetarium shows.
During my time at UCL I participated in the "Origins of Life" exhibit hosted at the Royal Society Summer Exhibition 2015. I also
participated in a programme of professional development workshops on public engagement and teaching.
Since moving to Aberystwyth I have been working with the Brilliant Club who are now expanding into Wales. To date, we have hosted 3
assessment centres for tutors in Aberystwyth. Previously I tutored at The RJ Mitchell
Primary School and St Edwards Primary School in East London during 2015.
I am also a part of the EduTwinkle team: I have worked with St Brendan's
College Bristol on developing a programme of A-level remote research projects (see publications).
During the summer months I supervise both undergraduate and Nuffield students (6 week placements) and work experience students. I
also tutor as required for the Summer
University run by the Centre for Widening Participation and Social
Department of Physics & Astronomy
University College London
August 31, 2016
Calculation of linelists for Chromium Hydride (CrH) & Manganese Hydride (MnH)
Supervisors: Dr Sergey N. Yurchenko. & Professor Jonathan Tennyson
Link to PhD
University of Oxford, 2.1
Master's project: Monte Carlo Simulation of X-ray spectra from Black Hole Winds
4th Year Major Options: Astrophysics, Physics of Atmospheres & Oceans
IOP Undergraduate Bursary 2008 - 2012
Exhibition, St Edmund Hall, 2009 - 2012
SQA Advanced Highers (A, Band 1): Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, Statistics
Grange Academy & St Joseph's Academy, Kilmarnock, Scotland
2002 - 2008
Dr. Maire N. Gorman
Physical Sciences Building
Department of Physics
University of Aberystwyth
+44 (0)1970 622804
The information provided on this and other pages by me, Maire Gorman (email@example.com), is under my own personal responsibility and not
that of the Aberystwyth University. Similarly, any opinions expressed are my own and are in no way to be taken as those of A.U.