EL10920 Images of Europe: THE ITALIAN STORY
The Allure of Italian Design
"What is it about Italian design that yields, century after century, spectacularly innovative architecture and furniture? Some say it is the process. A deliberate, thoughtful, not-to-be rushed and iterative process, that allows forms to stray from the original drawing board on its way to the showroom. Others say it is the craftsmanship, centuries old pride of workmanship and love of materials -- old ones and those not yet invented. Or maybe it is the craftsmanship that exudes an homage to materials: The polished edge of thick flawless glass, sensuously soft leathers with exposed stitching, book-matched grains from exotic woods. And, making each material enhance and subvert to another.
A Canadian research team from Simon Fraser University, claims it is Italy's rich history, architecture and artistic achievement that imbues the culture with an innate understanding and an ambition that any item produced must stand up to the Italian legacy. And the legacy is innovation.
Could it be then, that stubbornness helps define disegno italiano? If it is to be made in Italy , it should only be an innovative design."
(Diane P. Burley in Pure Contemporary, 10 September 2006)
- a bit of drama and Bibliography
1) Styling Fascism
- click on the links to see the images ; to see the notes
- Mario Sironi and Italian modernism : art and politics under fascism / Emily Braun. N6923.S53.B8
- Patron state : culture & politics in fascist Italy / Marla Susan Stone. NX750.I8.S8
- Fascist modernism : aesthetics, politics, and the avant-garde / Andrew Hewitt. PQ4829.A76.Z6.H6
- Fascist visions : art and ideology in France and Italy / edited by Matthew Affron and Mark Antliff. N8846.F8.F1
- Giorgio Morandi : the art of silence / Janet Abramowicz. N6923.M6.A1
- History of Italian art in the 20th century / edited by Sandra Pinto. N6918.S8
- Totalitarian art : in the Soviet Union, the Third Reich, Fascist Italy and the People's Republic of China / Igor Golomstock; transl. from the Russian by Robert Chandler. NX180.T7.G6
- Futurism & photography / Giovanni Lista. TR653.L7 Qto
- Modern art and modernism : Manet to Pollock. Block 6, Italian futurism ; prepared for the Course Team by Tim Benton.
- Franco Borsi, Monumental era : European architecture and design 1929-1939, London : Lund Humphries, 1987. NA958.B7
2) Styling Italians (or 'La bella figura')
Post-war Italian Design
- click on the link to see images and notes (large file)
- Sparke, Penny, Italian design :1870 to the present, Thames and Hudson , London. NK2561.S7
- Sparke, Penny, Ettore Sottsass Jnr / Penny Sparke, London : Design Council, 1982. NK1396.S65.B9
- Branzi, Andrea, The hot house : Italian new wave design, Cambridge, Mass. : MIT Press, 1984. NK1452.A1.B8
- Börnsen-Holtmann, Nina, Italian design, Cologne : Benedikt Taschen, 1994. NK959.B7
- Albera, Giovanni, Italian Modern: a design heritage, Rizzoli. NK1452.A1.A3
- Vespa : Italian street style, Athos Bigongiali...[et al.], London : Scriptum Editions 2008. TL453.V47.V5
- Italian world : history, art and the genius of a people / edited by John Julius Norwich. DG441.I8 Qto (Store)
- Italian art in the 20th century : painting and sculpture, 1900-1988 / edited by Emily Braun; with contributions by Alberto Asor Rosa ...[et al.]. N6918.I8
- Munari, Bruno, Design as art, Translated [from the Italian] by Patrick Creagh, Harmondsworth : Penguin, 197. (745.4 MUN Thomas Parry Library)