Metabolomic Technology Applications for Plants, Health and Outreach
META-PHOR is an EU Framework VI project which began in October 2006. In involves 22 collaborators from academia and industry. the overall objective is as follows:
META-PHOR will bring together key European players with proven track-records in plant metabolic profiling, analytical chemistry, plant biology and human nutrition, in a focused, coordinated initiative to develop a high throughput metabolite-based phenotyping platform appropriate for the targeted improvement of plant breeding, engineering and processing strategies aimed at a more varied range of food products with enhanced nutritional quality.
A brief description in a wider context is available as a temporary introduction to the project.
There are 6 work packages. Work package 4 is co-ordinated by Nigel Hardy at Aberystwyth.
- WP 1 [Management] is the coordination and management of the METAPHOR project as a whole.
- WP 2 [Technology Platform] forms the core of wet lab activities within the project.
- WP 3 [Biological Materials] has responsibility for the provision of all the plant samples of the three chosen crops and for coordinating storage and delivery to the different partners for analysis.
- WP 4 [Database Management] shall be responsible for all database issues and shall deliver an integrated data handling, storage and management resource which be sustainable and available beyond META-PHOR.
- WP 5 [Bioinformatics and Statistics] will coordinate and exploit the integration and development of all data analysis approaches.
- WP 6 [Outreach] shall disseminate META-PHOR knowledge and will transfer technology expertise to the scientific and commercial communities.
There is a restricted website to co-ordinate the project at Aberystwyth.