Bob Morris Jones's Research Interests
I have been involved with
the following projects:
- An ESRC-funded project which produced a CHILDES-type database of the spontaneous conversations of
children between the ages of three and seven speaking Welsh.
- A collaborative
project with Janig
Stephens, UWIC, University of Wales Cardiff, Wynford Bellin, Department of Education, University of Wales Cardiff, and
Robert Borsley, Linguistics
of Essex. This project set up
lexicon for the investigation of the acquisition
and development of Welsh
by young children. The
project is funded by the University
- Research project on the acquisition of Welsh
as a mother tongue. This was a project which was
originally funded by
the ESRC. It was a collaborative project involving Dr R.D. Borsley,
the principal grantholder,
Professor Ian Roberts, Dr. Michelle
Aldridge, and Ms Susan
Clack - all of the Linguistics
University at the time
of the project - and myself
and Ms Gwenan Creunant in
Aberystwyth. The project began in January, 1996 and was completed by the end of the year. This period was taken up mainly
with data collecting. Since then, work has begun
on the task of analysis. One paper has so far appeared:
Aldridge, M, RD Borsley, S Clack, G Creunant and BM Jones (1998). 'The acquisition
of noun phrases in Welsh', in Language
Acquisition: Knowledge Representation and Processing. Proceedings of
GALA '97, University of Edinburgh.
Examples of my recent
published work are:
- Jones, BM (2010). Tense and Aspect in Informal Welsh, Berlin; New York: de Gruyter.
- Borsley, B. and Jones, B.M. (2005). Welsh Negation
and Grammatical Theory. Cardiff: University
of Wales Press.
- Jones, B.M. (2004) “The licensing powers of mood and negation
in spoken Welsh: full and contracted
forms of the present tense of bod ‘be’ Journal
of Celtic Linguistics, 8: 87–107.
- Borsley, B. and Jones, B.M. 2001 “Negation
in colloquial Welsh”. In R.Cann, C.Grover and P. Miller (eds.) “Grammatical interfaces in HPSG”. CSLI
Publications. Stanford: Center
for the Study of Language and Information (CSLI).
- Borsley, B. and Jones, B.M. 2000 “The syntax
of Welsh negation” Transactions
of the Philological Society, Vol. 98, 1: 15-47. (Paper from the Salford Negation conference, published for the Philological Society by Blackwell).
- Jones, BM (1999). The
Welsh Answering System, Berlin; New
York: Mouton de Gruyter.
- Jones, BM (1998). 'Necessity and Obligation: Part 2, Children's Welsh', Studia
Celtica XXXII: 231-269.
- Jones, BM (1997). 'Necessity and Obligation: Part 1, Adult Welsh', Studia
Celtica XXXI: 239-267.
- Bilingualism, Education and Identity, 1995, co-editor
with Paul Ghuman, and contributor, Cardiff: University of Wales Press.
- Possessive Sentences in Children's Welsh, 1994, Aberystwyth Education Papers.
- Ascriptive and Equative Sentences in Children's Welsh, 1993, Aberystwyth Education Papers.
- Ar Lafar ac Ar Bapur, 1993,
a linguistic and sociolinguistic study of the
relationship between spoken and written Welsh, Aberystwyth: CAA.
- Linguistic Performance and Language Background, 1992,
a report of a research
project funded by the Faculty
of Education of the University
of Wales. Aberystwyth: CAA.
Other Works currently on the Web are:
The complementizer system in informal Welsh
syntax: a presentative clause in Welsh
Copula-less clauses in Welsh
Copular clauses in Welsh
Morris Jones's Home Page
· Education Department Home Page
Official UWA disclaimer
The information provided on this and
other pages by me, Bob Morris Jones (email@example.com) is under my own
personal responsibility and not that of the Aberystwyth University. Similarly, any opinions expressed
are my own
and are in
no way to be taken as those of AU.
These Web pages look best
when viewed with Netscape version 1.1b2