I tried to create a personal banner for my site, and managed to mess it up as it was stuck under data. I fixed this though by resizing the banner, forcing to the top of the page.
The most evil and complicated part of customising osCommerce had to be the joys of applying a new template/theme. Firstly, they are harder to find than a sober student. Trawling the internet gave little hope, with complaints covering the last half decade showing disappointment in the availability of themes, and no site seeming to give them away for free. By sheer coinicidence in attempts to add a facebook ‘like’ box I found on another osCommerce site, I discovered that they have their own repositry within the network which included a few free themes. Alas, this was not the end of my troubles though. The templates were installed by merging files and then expecting them to replace some of the standard files. All was going well until a fatal error was found, attempting to call a value that doesn’t exist.
So I gave up on this all and made a second attempt at osCommerce, reinstalling and all. I prioritised the settings that I could change from within the site. This included changing the country to UK, adding GPD as the default currency, including a better out of stock message than the default “***” and obviously adding 2 new items, in this case a rocket and a toy gun. This part was very easy and had no real problems.
I’ve Also added the warning about my shop not being real to the shop (after Jim’s infamous problem), and a cheesy(pun not intended) scrolling bar.